February 27, 2011

Sweet Potato Casserole

The first time I ever ate at Ruth's Chris Steak house, I ordered their sweet potato souffle.  I had never had it before.  I believe I died and went to heaven.  This recipe was given out at church years ago and it is my favorite for the holidays but I love it anytime of the year.  Since the nearest Ruth's Chris is over an hour away, this is the next best thing. 



This picture doesn't do justice to how good this tastes.  It is like a souffle in texture and the crumb topping on top is the best part. 



3 cups sweet potatoes, cooked (or 3 small cans of yams in light syrup, without the juice)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 stick butter, room temperature
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup coconut (optional)

Mix all of the above.  Pour into buttered casserole dish.  Set aside.
Topping:
1 cup broken pecans
1 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter, room temperature
1/2 cup flour

Mix the above with fork until crumbly.  Crumble on top of casserole.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.


Print Recipe