April 29, 2011

Thrift Store Find

Yesterday I stopped at a Thrift Store and they had just received  five pallets of merchandise.   Anyway they had about 100 of these great metal lanterns.  Most of them either had no glass or a couple panes were missing, or the latch was gone.  They had about 3 different sizes and ranged anywhere from $5.00 - $15.00. 







To continue my bird nest obsession, I took strips of dictionary pages (another obsession) and cut them in strips.  I covered a bowl with Saran wrap and then mod podged the strips of paper together overlapping as I went.  On my final layer, I just pressed dry strips to the wet mod podge so it would look textured and strewn about.  I let it dry at least 24 hours and removed the Saran wrap and voila - a cute bird nest.

I stuck in some moss and my beautiful green bird and gave him a new home.  My  lantern  only cost me $4.99.  I think I need another one!!!



10 comments:

An Oasis in the Desert said...

The lantern is wonderful! I hope you scooped up several at those prices.
CAS

Unknown said...

Way cool whats the name of the store in your neck of the woods? you did good.

Pattie

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

lovely

Dawna said...

Wish we had some great places like that in Alberta...I frequent Home Sense alot, but its not quite the same as antique shows and thrift places...

Anonymous said...

Very Awesome Idea! LOVE THE LOOK! Great job! Great FIND!
~Heather

Gypsy Heart said...

Love lanterns! This nest is a great idea ~ thanks for sharing.

Pat

Gypsy Heart said...

Love lanterns! This nest is a great idea ~ thanks for sharing.

Pat

Jacqueline said...

What lovely finds! Thanks for sharing!

Simply Creations Link Party

Laura Everyday Edits said...

Love this! new follower! Visting from http://imnotatrophywife.com

laura

Anonymous said...

Those will cost you a pretty penny at Pottery Barn...where did you get them